Contract Type: Full-time
Agri-Tech Innovation Fellow (6)
Expiry date: 24th Nov 2023
We are excited to offer you the opportunity to contribute to a meaningful project that aims at creating sustainable entrepreneurial ventures that can mitigate the effects of climate change on food security.
The fellowship will last for one year. It is a joint venture between StartHub Africa (Uganda) and Ennovate Ventures (Tanzania) also aims at increasing youth participation in income generating opportunities within the agricultural value chain through entrepreneurship support programs targeting 500+ enthusiastic young people at different intervention levels thereby creating
opportunities up and downstream the value chain, not limited to employment.
Main Tasks and Responsibilities
As an Agri-tech innovation fellow, you will work in a team of 3 to
- Coordinate and facilitate the exchange of knowledge and skills related to opportunities along the agricultural value chain, including market research, financial modelling, and product development through trainings and workshops
- Conduct research through field visits, interviews, and other relevant research methods to identify challenges faced by stakeholders within the agricultural value chain, contributing to food insecurity.
- Plan and execute ideathons, hackathons, bootcamps, and demo days in selected universities to foster innovation and entrepreneurship.
- Promote, select and conduct these trainings to passionate students ensuring diverse and talented teams.
- Organize research findings into meaningful insights and prioritize them into problem statements that can be used during ideathons and hackathons for selected students.
- Identify and highlight opportunities within the agricultural sector that can contribute to food security.
- Provide ongoing support, mentorship, and coaching to selected teams of founders to help them make meaningful progress with their ideas and businesses.
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with assigned universities to ensure effective collaboration and coordinate activities with the institutions
- Undertake any other tasks and responsibilities as discussed and agreed upon with your direct supervisor.
Qualifications and Competencies
You do not need to tick all the boxes to apply
- A bachelor’s degree in agriculture or related fields or a bachelor’s degree in software engineering or related fields. (either is required)
- Should have graduated more than a year ago
- Project Management experience and a track record of successfully implementing similar initiatives
- Experience in a tech start-up or building tech solutions preferred
- Experience and demonstrated ability to design and conduct trainings.
- Passion for research and experience or demonstrated ability to conduct the same
- Passionate about the agricultural space, and passionate about solving problems within this space
- Should be available to travel to Uganda or Tanzania (January 2024 and reside there until December 2024). All travel expenses and preparation will be facilitated.
- You must be a citizen of Uganda or Tanzania
Key Information And Dates:
Selection Process: The selection process will last until 1st December 2023. After which, all selected participants will be required to start making necessary travel arrangements with support from our team.
Other steps and dates to note in the selection process include:
Thursday 23rd November, 2023 at 1400 GMT+3 – Information Session hosted online for those that might need additional information about the opportunity. Please register here to be invited to the information session: bit.ly/agritechfellow
Friday 24th November, 2023 – Deadline for submission of application
Saturday 25th November 2023 – Shortlisting and communication to all shortlisted candidates. Please note that if you do not hear from us by phone or email, you will not have been selected for the next phase.
Monday 27th November 2023 to Thursday November 2023 – Interviews for all shortlisted candidates. There will be two sets of interviews, the first, a physical interview, while the second will be virtual. Please also note that only a few selected individuals will be be invited for a second round of virtual interviews.
Project Duration (Start and End Dates): All selected participants will be required to travel to their duty stations by January 13th 2024 where they will live until the project end in December 2024.
Work Station: You will be stationed in either Kampala (for Tanzanians) or Dar Es Salaam (For Ugandans), and have the opportunity to travel and work in other cities within the country.
In case of any questions, do not hesitate to contact Gerald Geria at email@example.com (Uganda) or Joseph Mwanyika at firstname.lastname@example.org (Tanzania). Ensure to copy either Gerald or Joseph in any communication you share.
Thank you again for your interest in this opportunity. We look forward to reviewing your application and discussing your next steps. Bon chance!